Information About Funding for Therapy and Counselling

For patients sexually abused by a doctor, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario offers assistance

If you have been sexually abused by an Ontario physician, you may be eligible to receive funding for therapy and counselling from the CPSO. This funding, administered by our Patient Relations Committee (PRC), is available to applicants who meet the eligibility criteria below. You are eligible for funding if while you were a patient of a physician in Ontario:

  1. it is alleged, in a complaint or report, that you were sexually abused by the physician;
  2. the Discipline Committee finds that you were sexually abused by the physician;
  3. the physician admits or agrees in a statement to the College that the physician sexually abused you;
  4. the physician is convicted under the Criminal Code of Canada of sexually assaulting you;
  5. there is a statement contained in the written reasons of a College Committee after a hearing that the physician sexually abused you; or
  6. you can provide the PRC with sufficient evidence to support a reasonable belief that you were sexually abused by the physician.

We have the authority to provide this funding for therapy and counselling from Ontario’s Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991. Successful applicants can use the funding to see a therapist or counsellor of their own choosing. (Certain restrictions apply. See our Funding for Therapy and Counselling FAQs for more details.)

If you would like more information, or want to apply for this funding and would like assistance, please contact:

Policy Administrator, Policy Department
(416) 967-2600, ext. 211 or 1 (800) 268-7096 ext. 211

We can send you a hard copy of the application form(s), or help you email the completed electronic application form(s) in a secure way to protect the confidentiality of your information.

When you apply for funding, you will have to provide us with some information. The various forms you have to complete are below.

*Please note: these forms are fillable PDFs.  If you want to email us the completed form(s), please contact us for assistance to ensure the confidentiality of your information is protected.

Form A — To be completed by you first
Formulaire A – Demande de financement pour thérapie ou consultation (À remplir par le demandeur)

You need to complete this form in order to apply for funding. This form contains the information that the PRC requires to assess your eligibility. Please note that you do not need to have a therapist or counsellor identified to apply for funding.

Form B  To be completed by both you and your therapist/counsellor
Formulaire B – Information sur le thérapeute ou consultant (À remplir par le demandeur et le thérapeute/consultant)

If you already have chosen a therapist or counsellor, you can submit this form at the same time as Form A. If you haven’t, you can submit it after the PRC has made a decision regarding your eligibility, and you have selected a therapist or counsellor. This form provides the PRC with information regarding the therapist or counsellor you would like to see/are seeing. Please note that you will need to complete this form before funding can begin.

Form C — To be completed by you
Formulaire C – Demande de remboursement pour frais de thérapie ou consultation antérieurs (À remplir par le demandeur)

If applicable, you can request reimbursement for out-of-pocket past therapy costs by completing and submitting this form. You need to complete and submit it at the same time as Form A. Please note that you need to provide us with invoices/receipts.

Form D — To be completed by your therapist/counsellor
Formulaire D – Information pour le traitement des factures de thérapie ou consultation (À remplir par le thérapeute/consultant)

If the PRC finds you are eligible for funding and you have submitted Form B, then your therapist or counsellor needs to complete and send us this form every time s/he sends us an invoice. We require this form before we can make payment to the therapist or counsellor.

For more information, please see this FAQ document on Funding for Therapy and Counselling 
(En français: Pour plus d'informations, veuillez consulter ce document de questions fréquemment posées sur le financement pour thérapie et consultation)