Learn about professionalism and the role of the CPSO in your practice as you prepare for a career in medicine.
As a student, you will develop medical knowledge and skill through study and observing your educators. Along with your clinical training, you will also need to understand the values and regulations that guide the profession. To support your learning, the CPSO is committed to providing you with relevant information on our policies on issues of professionalism. All CPSO work is rooted in our mandate to protect and serve the public interest. Keeping the patient at the centre of our work is the foundation for the many important concepts medical students need to know. We encourage you to get informed early and get involved in regulation where you can — you are the future of medicine.
Use our medical student resources to help you understand:
- What it means to be a regulated health professional;
- What our policies and expectations are for Ontario physicians; and
- How to participate in medical regulation (for example: providing us with feedback during policy consultations).
CPSO’s official publication for doctors is now available in a digital format at cpsodialogue.ca. The mobile-friendly site features all the same content as the print magazine and more. Stay connected and sign-up to receive email notifications when new content is added.
With eDialogue, you can:
- Read articles and practice profiles on health regulation, policies, health trends and practice improvement strategies.
- Share with your colleagues using the multitude of social media options available on every article.
- Easily access content from 2018 to the present via the search or browse a category.
In Dialogue, CPSO’s Podcast
In 2022, the College launched a monthly podcast series where we speak to health system experts on issues related to medical regulation, the delivery of quality care, physician wellness, and initiatives to address bias and discrimination in health care. Episodes are available on eDialogue, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and SoundCloud.
Educational sessions and workshops
Throughout your undergraduate and postgraduate medical education, CPSO representatives provide excellent guest lectures and interactive workshops on issues relevant to the practice of medicine such as:
- Appropriate use of social media by physicians;
- Medical records;
- Professional responsibilities in undergraduate education;
- Physician behaviour in the professional environment; and/or
- Maintaining appropriate boundaries.