Alternatives to the Medical Council of Canada Examinations Parts 1 and 2
Applicants who are not licentiates of the Medical Council of Canada but who have successfully completed one of the following examinations:
- USMLE Steps 1, 2 and 3. Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) is required if Step 2 was taken after June 12, 2004.
- ECFMG certification plus USMLE Step 3. Applies to international medical school graduates who passed USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA) between July 1, 1998 to June 14, 2004.
- FLEX component 1 and component 2 successfully completed (score of 75 on each component) between January 1, 1992 and December 31, 1994.
- NBME Part 1, 2 and 3, successfully completed between January 1, 1992 and December 31, 1994.
- The Comprehensive Osteopathic Licensing Examination (COMLEX-USA) Levels 1, 2 and 3. COMLEX-USA Level 2 Performance Evaluation (PE) component is required if Level 2 was completed after September 2004. (Applies to graduates of osteopathic schools accredited by the American Osteopathic Association.)
- Examen Clinique Objectif Structuré (ECOS) of the Collège des Médecins du Québec passed between January 1, 1992 and December 31, 2000.
may be eligible for a certificate of registration with the following conditions, provided the applicant meets all other criteria for registration:
- The physician must practice with a mentor and/or supervisor until he or she has successfully completed an assessment.
- The physician must undergo an assessment after completing a minimum of one year of practice in Ontario. The certificate of registration automatically expires 18 months from the date of issuance, but may be renewed by the Registration Committee, with or without additional or other terms, conditions and limitations.
All applications submitted under this policy require review and approval by the College’s Registration Committee.