Provides exemption from the Pre-Entry Assessment Program requirement for IMGs applying for a postgraduate education certificate to take a residency in Ontario.
An applicant for a postgraduate certificate of registration, who has an appointment to a residency program at an Ontario medical school, may be exempted from the requirement to complete a Pre-entry Assessment Program, provided the applicant satisfies each of (1), (2) and (3) below at the time of applying to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario:
- The applicant has already completed, within the last year, one or more years of residency training that is accredited by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) or the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC), or one or more years of residency training in the USA, that is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
- The applicant is entering an Ontario medical school to take either,
- A subsequent year of residency in the same discipline or a sub-discipline as the residency already completed; or
- A program to obtain recognition by the RCPSC or CFPC in a related discipline or field after having completed the educational requirements for certification by the RCPSC or CFPC.
- The applicant has passed the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination and completed all other requirements for a certificate of registration for postgraduate education.
Applicants are urged to submit their applications eight to twelve weeks in advance of their expected starting dates in Ontario. The application requires review by the College.
All registration regulations, policies and requirements are subject to change.