Approved by Council: November 2003
Reviewed and Updated: November 2011; December 2016
The policy permits the issuance of a time-limited, restricted certificate to physicians who are missing Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Parts 1 and 2 , and/or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or College of Family Physicians of Canada certification, but are officially eligible to take these examinations. The Registration Committee may direct the Registrar to issue a restricted certificate of registration, to individuals who have provided the College with proof of:
- having completed the certification exam of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the College of Family Physicians of Canada, but who have not yet completed parts 1 and 2 of the MCCQE, or
- being currently eligible without pre-condition to take the certification exam of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the College of Family Physicians of Canada. The individual may or may not have yet completed Parts 1 & 2 of the MCCQE.
Candidates who are issued a restricted certificate of registration based on this policy will only practise in prescribed circumstances under monitoring or supervisory arrangements, with accountability to the College for full compliance with the arrangements and for completing all examinations as required.
The issuance of a restricted certificate of registration is subject to the followingconditions:
- The physician must practice with a supervisor until s/he has completed all outstanding examinations.
- The restricted certificate of registration will expire within a reasonable number ofyears, not to exceed three years from the date that the restricted certificate of registration is issued; if
- the candidate does not successfully complete all outstanding MCC examinations; and
- the candidate does not receive certification by examination by either the RCPSCor by the CFPC.
Only in exceptional circumstances will candidates be considered for a renewal of their restricted certificate of registration after the expiration date.