skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions about Incorporation

Print page icon
  • Does the CPSO provide any legal, accounting or other advice for corporations about ancillary activities or investments, acquisitions or the use of surplus funds?
    No. The College does not provide legal or accounting advice. For advice on any matters beyond incorporation application requirements, we recommend you consult a lawyer or accountant. 

    Where can I find the application forms to apply for a new or renew an existing Certificate of Authorization?
    Application forms are available on our Incorporation Issuance and Renewal webpage.  

    How long will it take to issue my Certificate of Authorization?
    If you’ve met all application requirements, the processing time for both new and renewal certificates is approximately two to three weeks. Please note that during the renewal process, the Certificate of Authorization presently held by the corporation remains valid. 

    Will the CPSO back-date a Certificate of Authorization?
    No. The certificate’s effective date is the date the Corporations Unit received the completed application. 

    Are the names of family shareholders public information on the CPSO’s website?
    No with the exception of family members who are also physicians. By law, the College’s website only lists physician member shareholders. 

    My corporation has more than one physician shareholder. Do I have to provide this information in the application?
    Yes, you must list all physician shareholders of the corporation under the section titled “Physician Shareholders.” This includes any family members who are also physicians, even if they do not hold voting shares. 

    I have misplaced my Certificate of Authorization. How can I obtain a duplicate and is there a charge?
    To request a replacement Certificate of Authorization, send your signed, written request, including your corporation ID number and a brief explanation, and the $10 fee to the Corporations Unit. Payment is accepted by credit card using the payment form or cheque made payable to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. The CPSO mails the replacement certificate to your registered office address within two weeks. 

  • What is the acceptable naming convention for an Ontario medicine professional corporation?
    The name of a medicine professional corporation must strictly adhere to the required format and contain no additional words or characters. It must include the physician’s surname as it appears on the CPSO’s register and may include given names or initials. If there is more than one physician member, it only needs to contain one of the physician members’ names. It must also include the words “Medicine Professional Corporation” or the French version, “Medecine Societe Professionnelle.” 

    Example: Smith Medicine Professional Corporation OR John (or J.) Smith Medicine Professional Corporation. 

    What form of payment is acceptable for a new Certificate of Authorization application?
    The non-refundable application fee is $400. Payment is accepted by credit card, money order, bank draft or cheque made payable to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.  

    Do I need to submit a certified copy of the Certificate of Incorporation?
    No, the regulations only require a copy of the Certificate of Incorporation. 

    Is a copy of the Articles of Incorporation required for a new application?
    No, the regulations only require a copy of the Certificate of Incorporation.  

    I have amended the articles since incorporation. Do I need to provide this with my new application package?
    Yes, the regulations require a copy of the Certificate of Amendment. It does not have to be certified. 

    What do I list under "practice address" if I do locums or have many practice addresses?
    At least one of the corporation’s practice addresses should correspond with one of the physician’s practice addresses on the CPSO’s register. If you changed the corporation’s practice address, you must submit a change of address form by fax or email

  • How much is the renewal application fee?
    The renewal fee is $175. Payment is accepted by credit card, money order or cheque made payable to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. 

    What is the renewal date of my Certificate of Authorization?
    The renewal date is the same as the certificate’s date of issue. The actual date is in your online profile on the CPSO’s website.  

    Why must I complete a renewal application each year?
    The Ministry of Health requires this of all Ontario health professions. The CPSO’s application only requests what the Ministry requires. If they amend the regulations, we will notify all medicine corporations.  

    What is meant by “a copy of every certificate endorsed under the Business Incorporations Act”?
    You must submit articles of amendment filed with the Ministry if you made any changes, such as a name change, to the corporation since incorporation or the last renewal. Do not submit the original articles of incorporation or the Certificate of Authorization. 

    The renewal application requires my College-assigned I.D. number. Where can I find this?
    Your College-assigned I.D. number appears on the renewal letter and in the bottom left corner of your Certificate of Authorization. If you do not have this number, use your CPSO registration number. 

    The renewal date of my certificate has passed. What should I do?
    Submit your renewal application and payment immediately. If the Corporations Unit has not received a renewal application by the deadline, it will issue a notice to revoke your certificate in 60 days if unresolved, no exceptions.  

  • Does the CPSO accept step-children, step-parents and common-law spouses as family member shareholders?

    Does the CPSO accept parents-in-law as family member shareholders?

    Do I have to notify the CPSO if I added or removed family member shareholders from the corporation?
    No, unless the family member is also a CPSO member. 

    Do I have to notify the CPSO if I added or removed physician member shareholders from the corporation?
    Yes, the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) requires corporations to notify the CPSO of any change in physician member shareholders within 15 days.  

    I forgot to notify the CPSO of changes to physician member shareholders within 15 days. What should I do now?
    Complete and submit the notice of shareholder change form immediately and include a brief explanation why you didn’t submit it within 15 days. 

  • Is my registered office address public information?
    No, only the corporation’s practice address is available on the CPSO’s website. 

    How do I notify the CPSO of changes to my registered office or practice address?
    Notify the Corporations Unit of your change of address by submitting a corporation change of address form by fax or email

  • Do I need to certify the Corporation Profile Report?
    No, certification is not necessary. 

    My Corporation Profile Report expired. Where can I get a new one?
    You may obtain a new Corporation Profile Report from the following Ministry of Government Services’ providers: 

  • Ministry of Government Services Companies and Personal Property Security Branch 

    OHIP Questions – Ministry of Health

    • Telephone: 416-327-8894 or 1-800-268-1153 
    CPSO Corporations Unit