You are invited to contribute your knowledge, skills, and expertise by participating on a College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) Committee.
CPSO Committees help carry out the core functions of the College as set out in legislation, by-laws, and in alignment with the Strategic Plan.
Physicians are recruited each year for committee vacancies for terms of up to three years with the possibility of re-appointment.
We are looking for physicians in current practice with the following specialties or qualifications:
- Emergency medicine physicians
- Family physicians
- Internal medicine physicians
- Orthopedic surgeons
- Pain medicine physicians
- Physicians practicing in rural or remote regions
- Formal/administrative French speakers
Preference will be given to physicians with 5 or more years in active practice.
Skills and Qualifications
CPSO is interested in physicians who can contribute a broad range of diversity attributes, technical skills, and behavioural competencies to meet the needs of the Committee. Individual Committee members are not expected to possess all the attributes, skills, and competencies. Committee Chairs will work towards achieving an appropriate composition of Committee members based on the requirements of the Committee.
For definitions relating to the technical skills and behavioural competencies, please refer to the Committee Profile.
- Health Systems Knowledge
- Leadership (including leading Committees and Panels)
- Legal and Fiduciary Knowledge
- Technological Proficiency (Microsoft Office 365 including Teams, Outlook and SharePoint)
- Specialized knowledge in the following areas:
- Administrative Law principles and medical terminology
- Ethical decision-making
- Review of peer and practice assessment reports
- Canadian Medical Education System
- Sexual abuse, trauma-informed care/services, and therapies to address trauma/PTSD
- Knowledge, training or interest in Anti-racism and Anti-oppression
- Continuous Learning
- Effective Communication
- Relationship Building
- Strategic Thinking
- Practice Setting
- Practice Specialty
Committee Eligibility and Member Expectations
- CPSO Committee members receive remuneration for committee work as outlined in the Fees and Remuneration By-Law
- Committee member eligibility is described on page 19, Appointment of Members to Committees in the General By-Law
- Committee members are required to sign an annual Declaration of Adherence
- Committee appointments are three-year terms; the maximum term length on a Committee is nine years
- The estimated Time Commitment for CPSO Committees is available for review
How to Apply for CPSO Committee Work
To apply for Committee work, please submit an application through our online survey, including a current Curriculum Vitae (maximum 5 pages). The survey includes questions to help us understand how your experience aligns with the needs and requirements of CPSO Committee work. If you would like, you can review the survey in advance.
As part of the application process, we will ask you about your interest in serving on the various CPSO Committees. Applications will be kept on file, and compared against available opportunities on a rolling basis.
If you are selected as a candidate for a Committee vacancy, you will be contacted by a member of the Governance Office staff to discuss next steps in the recruitment process. This may include an interview with Committee Chairs.
We thank all physicians for their interest; however, only applicants who are selected as candidates for a Committee vacancy will be contacted.
CPSO is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment, and to promoting diversity in CPSO’s committees. We welcome applications from members of equity-seeking groups, and preference may be given to candidates who are members of one or more of these groups. You will have an opportunity to voluntarily indicate if you are a member of one or more equity-seeking groups during the application process. Please note that it is not mandatory to provide this information.
If you wish to request accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise us and we will work with you to meet your requirements.
Should you have any questions please email the Governance Office.