The CPSO register must contain your full legal name. It does not permit abbreviations, nicknames, alternate names or initials. You may request to change your name in the register, as long as it complies with College by-laws.
To request a change of name, please complete the form and return it to the College with the required supporting documents and payment fee.
Below are relevant CPSO by-laws to consider when making your request.
Name in the Register (from General By-Law, s. 48)
- A member's name full name must be in the register and match the name they used in their undergraduate medical training.
- A member can change their name in the register if they prove it’s been validly changed since undergraduate medical training and the newer name is not for an improper use.
Public Information (from General By-Law, s. 48, s. 49(1)1 and s. 50.1(1))
- Every member’s full name is publicly available on the CPSO’s website.
- Every subsequent, approved change to the member’s name in the register is also publicly available.
Professional Misconduct (from General By-Law s. 1 (1) 15, O. Reg. 856/93)
- It is professional misconduct for a member to use a name other than the one registered while providing or offering to provide medical services.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please email Membership Services staff, or call 416-967-2673 or 1-800-268-7096, ext. 673.